Why should I study Woodwork/Furniture Construction?
Would you like to design and make your own piece of furniture?
These subjects are for those of you that are DIY enthusiasts! Many people enjoy woodworking as a hobby, but do not know they can make a career out of it. Professional woodworkers make a variety of products, such as furniture, cabinets and other structures for businesses or homes.
Woodworkers typically do the following:
- understand detailed architectural drawings, schematics, shop drawings and blueprints
- prepare and set up machines and tooling for woodwork manufacturing
- operate woodworking machines, including saws and milling and sanding machines
- ensure that products meet industry standards and project specifications, making adjustments as necessary
- select and adjust the proper cutting, milling, boring, and sanding tools for completing a job
- use hand tools to trim pieces or assemble products
What work will I do in Woodwork/Furniture Construction?
You will complete a design folio, practice and improve your woodwork skills using tools and machines, and research and discuss issues about sustainability and the environment.
What do other students think about Woodwork/Furniture Construction?
I chose Furniture Construction because I love to work with my hands. I can’t sit in front of a laptop or a desk and do paper work – I have to be active. And I love to work with wood, be precise and work efficiently and effectively.Jason
I like to do ‘hands on’ jobs because I love to work with my hands.Chris
I chose Furniture Construction because I wanted to gain more knowledge of different joints and ways to cut wood. I also love working with my hands so it was a good opportunity to get more knowledge and experience to help with my future.Ethan
I chose Woodwork to learn more about this work. I like to work with my hands and it will help me find a job in this industry in the future. Even if I change my mind, it is still good for me to have experience of this work, and learn skills I can use in the future.Jeff
Where can I find more information about Woodwork/Furniture Construction?
For more detail about content and assessment, view the course information: